Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tomato dosai


     Dosai is a staple of the south Indian cuisine. So needless to say, after a while, I was planning to improvise this dish. Recently my mom told me that she made this tomato dosai which came out really well. For the last two days, I was looking for an opportunity to experiment this and when my son asked me to make dosai with chutney, I knew exactly what would make him happy. I soaked the ingredients in the morning and prepared it for dinner.



Ingredients:


1 cup of parboiled rice
1 cup of raw rice
1/2 cup of urad dhal
1 tsp of fenugreek
2 big tomatoes3-4 green chillies                       
1 large onion
oil as required
salt as required



Seasoning:


1/2 tsp of mustard
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds


Preparation:


1.Soak both the rice, urad dhal and fenugreek in water for 6 hours. Grind them in to a smooth paste. Towards the end add 2 tomatoes and grind them with 1/2 cup of water.
2.The batter consistency should not be too thin nor too thick. Add salt and mix well. Set aside for 2 hours.
3.Heat oil in the pan and add the seasoning. once the mustard sputters, add to the batter. Mix them. Heat the tawa, add 1 ladle full of batter and pour on the tawa. Use the bottom of the ladle to make a thin layer of dosai. Sprinkle finely 1 tsp of chopped onion and about 1 green chilly on the dosai. As it turns golden brown, using spatula turn to the other side. Wait for 2 minutes. Tomato dosai is ready. Serve with chutney.
 *I tried the batter with seasoning alone for the kids..they loved it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stumble Upon